The Broward Sheriff's Office (BSO) is committed to the safe, fair and respectful treatment of all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ+) residents and visitors. BSO’s LGBTQ+ Liaison Committee mission is to strengthen the relationship between the LGBTQ+ community
and BSO by creating mutual trust and confidence through community involvement
and departmental education.
The LGBTQ+ Liaison Committee consists of employees from departments
The LGBTQ+ Liaison Committee will:
- Serve as a personal point of contact between BSO and the LGBTQ+ community.
- Assist, advise, and consult with BSO leadership and other deputies on cases involving the LGBTQ+ community or LGBTQ+ issues.
- Collaborate with the Training Division for ongoing education related to the LGBTQ+ community.
- Meet with business owners, community groups, and individuals from the LGBTQ+ community to discuss public safety matters.
- Provide a direct line of communication to discuss concerns regarding crimes directed against the LGBTQ+ community.
- Attend events in the LGBTQ+ community as a representative of BSO.
- Collaborate with community leaders, residents, and businesses to design and implement projects and programs to establish a closer, more effective dialogue between the Broward Sheriff's Office and the LGBTQ+ community.
- Any other activities as designated by the Sheriff or designee.
- LGBTQ+ Suicide Prevention
- Broward County State Attorney Hate Crime Unit - call 954-831-8059
- HIV/AIDS Testing or Housing
- The Pride Center - A welcoming, safe space that celebrates, nurtures and empowers the LGBTQ+ community. They work to meet the distinct health, social, educational,
socio-economic and safety needs of the LGBTQ+ community and allies.
- LGBTQ Family Acceptance - Family
and community support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and
queer-identified (LGBTQ) children and youth.
- PFLAG Broward - Support for families, friends and loved ones of the LGBTQIA+ people.
- The Trevor Project - Suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people.
- Sunserve - Critical life assistance and professional mental health services.
For more information, please contact the LGBTQ+ Liaison Committee at LGBTQ@sheriff.org.