Behavioral Services

The In-Custody Behavioral Services Unit provides psychoeducational program services to inmates in Broward County's Jail System. The Substance Abuse (SAP) and Life Skills Programs target the criminogenic factors resulting in an inmate's incarceration. The programs promote pro-social attitudes and behavior change in an effort to reduce criminal behavior. Both programs provide inmates with a set daily schedule of activities that include group sessions, lesson plans, workbook assignments, and video learning. SAP is a didactic modality of substance abuse education using a best practices curriculum combined with 12-Step Recovery (AA/NA) groups. The Life Skills Program includes instruction on domestic violence, parenting, anger management, financial management, leisure and peer association planning, problem solving, self-control skills, coping skills, and stress management. Both programs are available to male and female inmates and are for a duration of 30 days. Priority admission is given to court orders, however, volunteers are accepted as space is available. The SAP may be followed by 30 days of housing in the Alcoholic Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous Unit within the jail. Both programs may be followed by 30 days of aftercare upon release through BSO's Day Reporting and Reentry Program.

The Mental Health Unit is located at the North Broward Detention Center where BSO houses inmates requiring specialized care due to their mental health condition. Placement and programming decisions are made by the facility’s clinical staff based on an evaluation of the inmate’s needs. The unit takes a holistic approach to offender mental health treatment including psychological assessment, individual and group counseling, and discharge planning. There are a number of programming options available that are individualized to meet the needs of offenders with varying levels of psychological functioning.

For more information, please contact the In-Custody Behavioral Services at (954) 831-0246.

In-Custody Program Unit Frequently Asked Questions

What In-Custody Programs are available for my family member?

The In-Custody Program Unit offers a 30 day court ordered Substance Abuse Program (SAP), 30 day Life Skills Program, and 30 day AA/NA Program for both male and female offenders. If bed space permits, volunteers will be accepted into the program.

How long will it take for someone to enter into the program?

Once the court order is received from our Confinement Status Unit, the offender will be placed on the program court order wait list. The wait time varies depending on how many offenders are on the wait list, but is usually less than a week. An offender’s medical/mental health or classification status may prolong entry into the program which will increase the wait time into the program. Inmates in medical/mental health areas of the jail need medical clearance prior to attending the program.

What topics are covered in the Substance Abuse and Life Skills Programs?

The Substance Abuse and Life Skills Program are psycho-educational programs that draw from current evidenced-based practices combined with practical clinical experience. The Substance Abuse Program focuses on basic substance abuse education, understanding cravings and triggers, relapse prevention, and various components related to addiction and recovery. The Life Skills Program focuses on criminal and addictive thinking, self-control skills, parenting, leisure and peer association planning, substance abuse education, relapse prevention, and community reintegration skills.

What if my client is currently volunteering for a program and then gets court ordered? Will they get credit for the time they volunteered?

If an offender is already in a program, the court order must specify that the client is to get credit for time they already volunteered in the program. If the court order does not say to give credit for time they already volunteered, their start date for the program will be the date the court order was written.

In-Custody Mental Health Unit Frequently Asked Questions

My loved one has mental health concerns I would like the jail to know about, how can I share this information? 954-831-5428

You may contact the jail’s medical provider to share clinical information that you feel may be important for the jail to know about.

How does an inmate request the mental health services available in the jail?

An inmate may request mental health services through the normal sick-call request system operating in the jail or may speak with their unit deputy or unit nurse to get more information.

The Mental Health Unit offers counseling and programs to inmates housed in the mental health units. Can someone be court-ordered to these services?

Involvement in the mental health programs is voluntary and placement on the mental health unit is determined by the jail’s medical provider following a clinical assessment.