The Fire Rescue Reserve Firefighter program provides benefits to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office Department of Fire Rescue and Emergency Services, the participant, the community, and Broward County by broadening community resources and increasing public awareness. The Fire Rescue Reserve Firefighter Program allows Reserve Firefighters the opportunity to give back to the community by assisting certified firefighter/paramedics in the prevention, control and suppression of both structural and non-structural fires, and in response to man-made and natural disasters. Work is public safety oriented in the protection of life and property, and is of a physical nature involving an element of personal danger. Participants must be able to exercise discretion in addressing emergency situations.
A participant of the Fire Rescue Reserve Firefighter program may encounter many dangers related to work in a fire department including, but not limited to, vehicle accidents, and exposure to blood-borne/air-borne pathogens.
Reserve Firefighters are required to complete a minimum of the following duties per month:
- Two 12 hour rides per month
- Two community events per month
- Attend the regular monthly Reserve meeting
- Complete / keep current with all online department training classes
All participants must meet the following qualifications in order to be considered:
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) from an accredited institution.
- Live in the tri-county area (Broward, Miami-Dade or Palm Beach County)
- Current State of Florida Firefighter Certificate.
- Current Healthcare Provider (BLS) certification.
- Current State of Florida Paramedic Certification along with a current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification, and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification or Pediatric Education for Prehospital Professionals (PEPP) card.
- Proof of completion of the Emergency Vehicle Operators Course.
- Nonuser of tobacco or tobacco products for at least 1 year immediately preceding application, as evidenced by sworn affidavit of the applicant. F.S. 633.34(6).
- Current Broward County-Wide Physical Ability Test (PAT) card issue by the Broward Fire Academy or any other Florida State certified academy which contains a swimming component.
- Current listing on the Municipal Employment Screening and Hiring (MESH) Program eligibility list is preferred.
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver License without any restrictions affecting job performance. Driver license must show current address.
Interested candidates MUST:
- Submit an application with copies of the above listed certifications and documents, as well as a Certified Department of Motor Vehicles "complete" driving history for every state in which a driver license was held within the last 7 years. The search date MUST be within one month of the date the application is received in Human Resources. Please note that online driving history records will not be accepted.
- Provide official court dispositions for any previous arrests. Official court dispositions can be obtained form the Clerk of the Court in the county in which the incident occurred.
Candidates who qualify will be subject to an extensive selection and screening process which may include, but is not limited to, evaluation of training and experience, interviews, fingerprint and background check, medical evaluation, and drug screen. The expected duration of the process varies based upon availability of positions.
HOW TO APPLY
At this time, we are not accepting applications for the Fire Rescue Reserve Firefighter Program.