CIGARETTE BURGLAR SMOKED OUT
PIO Number: 12-11-11 (12-8-15) BSO Case Number: Multiple
Date: Aug. 5-7, 2012 Time: Various
Place of Occurrence:
- Publix, 1297 S.R. 7, North Lauderdale (3 a.m. Aug. 5)
- Publix, 1003 E. Commercial Blvd., Oakland Park (4:15 a.m. Aug. 5)
- Rite Stop, 4050 N. Dixie Hwy., Oakland Park (4:20 a.m. Aug. 5)
- Save-A-Lot, 3400 N. Andrews Ave., Oakland Park (12:45 a.m. Aug. 6)
- Sunoco, 4891 NW 9 Ave., Oakland Park (2:20 a.m. Aug. 6)
- Publix, 4121 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac (4:25 a.m. Aug. 6)
- Publix, 9300 W. Commercial Blvd., Sunrise (12 a.m. Aug. 7)
- At least one location in the cities of Coconut Creek and Boynton Beach
Jurisdiction: Oakland Park, Tamarac and North Lauderdale
- State of Florida
- James Hendee, 35, male, 3/21/77, 6521 Johnson St., Hollywood (IN CUSTODY)
- Male accomplice
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives filed charges against one of the men involved in a series of burglaries where the thieves sought cigarettes. In early August, the pair smashed their way into at least eight businesses in six cities in Broward County to get their hands on the smokes.
Investigators located James Hendee, 35, at the BSO jail, where he was being held on unrelated charges. As the investigation got underway, fingerprints located at one of the crime scenes put him on detectives’ radar. Additionally, detectives confirmed the vehicle seen in surveillance video belonged to Hendee. In an interview with detectives, Hendee admitted to his involvement in the North Lauderdale burglary, but denied participating in any of the others. He told detectives he stole the cigarettes to support his drug habit.
In August, we released surveillance video of two suspects as they broke into the Rite Stop at 4050 N. Dixie Highway in Oakland Park. Around 4:20 a.m. August 5, an SUV pulled up in front of the business and two white males got out of the car armed with a cement block. They hurled it at the lower glass pane of the front doors and quickly ran in, got the cigarettes and fled.
Hendee is facing six charges for his involvement in the crime spree, including burglary and grand theft. More charges are expected. The investigation continues.
Anyone with information is asked to contact BSO Detective Armando Hernandez at 954-202-3131 or Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
***MEDIA NOTE: Excellent, color surveillance video of the Rite Stop burglary is available for download at www.sheriff.org under PIO#12-8-15.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Hernandez, Oakland Park C.I.; Tamarac; North Lauderdale; Sunrise PD; Coconut Creek PD; Boynton Beach PD
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 11/14/12 1115