ARMED ROBBERY ARREST Keys Left at the Scene Lead Detectives to Suspect
- BSO Case Number: PB02-09-00410
- PIO Number: 02-9-8
- Date: September 4, 2002
- Time: 1630 Place of Arrest: 506 NW 3 Street, apt. #6, Dania Beach
- 1) Edward Phillips, male, 384 NW 19 Street, Pompano Beach
- 2) Jessie Walker, 217 NW 15 Street, Pompano Beach
- 3) John Saxon, 35000 NW 18 Place, Fort Lauderdale
- 4) Jessie Smith, 3969 NW 57 Street, Coconut Creek
- Rodney Mitchell, 17, 4/11/85, male, 506 NW 3 Street, apt. #6, Dania Beach
- Joseph Edison, 19, 12/14/82, male (AT LARGE)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office Robbery detectives arrested a Dania Beach teen who robbed a Pompano Beach commissioner and three other men at gunpoint Sunday night. A second suspect, Joseph Edison, is still being sought.
The robbery took place shortly after 11 p.m. at 900 NW 6 Street in Pompano Beach. The four victims were standing outside the Masonic Lodge after an evening of socializing and playing cards. While the group of men was talking, two armed suspects jumped out a car and ordered them to take their pants off. Fearing for their lives the victims complied. The suspects fled with the victims’ pants, wallets, and a cell phone. In the rush, one of the suspects dropped his keys, which proved to be a crucial piece of evidence.
Sharing investigative information with other law enforcement agencies, BSO robbery detectives identified a potential suspect, 17-year-old Rodney Mitchell. Detectives tried to unlock several doors using their key piece of evidence. It wasn’t until they reached the front door of Mitchell’s apartment that they were successful. Mitchell was arrested late Wednesday at his Dania Beach apartment, located at 506 NW 3 Street, after he admitted to committing the robbery.
Detectives also recovered Phillips’ driver’s license, credit cards and the pants of the other three victims from garbage dumpsters in and near Mitchell’s apartment complex. Mitchell remains at the Juvenile Detention Center on four counts of robbery with a firearm.
Anyone with information on this case or the whereabouts of the second suspect is asked to call BSO Det. Dominic DiPerna at (954) 321-4270 or call Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at (954) 493-TIPS.
- INVESTIGATORS: Robbery Det. D. DiPerna and Det. L. Crew, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Translate This Page: