APPARENT SUICIDE VICTIM IDENTIFIED
- BSO Case Number: PK02-05-891
- PIO Number: 02-5-62
- Date: May 27, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: CSX tracks just west of Hallandale Beach Blvd., Pembroke Park
- Juan Miguel Ramirez, 20, 9/5/81, 2291 Cypress Ave. Miramar
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office Homicide detectives have released the name of a 20-year old Miramar man who reportedly threw himself into the path of a speeding train last Monday.
Investigators believe that shortly after 9:00 p.m. on May 27, 2002, Juan Miguel Ramirez ran in front of a New York to Miami Amtrak train as it picked up speed along the CSX tracks just west of Hallandale Beach Boulevard in Pembroke Park.
Witnesses aboard Amtrak train number 91, the Silver Streak, said Mr. Ramirez climbed the embankment along the tracks and ran into the train’s path as it headed south toward Miami.
The train, running late because of a four-hour delay in Baltimore, was held up for at least two more hours as BSO detectives and Amtrak authorities worked the scene.
None of the 34 passengers or 14 crewmembers aboard was injured.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. J. Berrena
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 5/30/02 1:30 p.m.
Translate This Page: