DETECTIVES TAKE CHARGE OUT OF SUSPECTED TRUCK BATTERY THIEF
- BSO Case Number: PB13-05-00904 / PB13-05-06008
- PIO Number: 13-5-26
- Date: May 22, 2013
- Time: 11:06 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1700 block of Southwest 13 Court, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- State of Florida
- Floyd Bowers, 48, 3/30/65, 2054 Acapulco Dr., Miramar
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested a Miramar man in possession of burglary tools and a van filled with 15 vehicle batteries. Detectives believe he may be responsible for a recent rash of battery thefts.
Wednesday (May 22) night a deputy was patrolling a closed industrial area in the 1700 block of Southwest 13 Court in Pompano Beach where several vehicle burglaries recently occurred. The deputy spotted a white van that fit the description of the van captured on surveillance video in connection with several grand theft cases. When the driver saw the BSO unit, he quickly made a U-turn and attempted to leave the area. The deputy conducted a traffic stop, and the suspicious driver was identified as Floyd Bowers, a career offender who was recently released on parole and has a revoked Florida drivers license. Through the van’s side window, the deputy saw several batteries in the rear of the van. Bowers was arrested for grand theft, loitering, driving on a revoked license and possession of burglary tools.
Detectives have connected the same unidentified suspect and white van to the following grand thefts in Pompano Beach:
• Between 9:30 p.m. and 8:30 a.m., 5/6/13 – 5/7/13, 1040 SW 10 Ave., #5, four batteries stolen (surveillance video available)
• Between 12:30 and 1:10 a.m. on 5/7/13, 1552 SW 13 Ct., six truck batteries stolen
• Between 6:30 p.m. and 7 a.m., 5/6/13 – 5/7/13, 1216 SW12 Ave., two truck batteries stolen
• Between 4:30 p.m. and 7:45 a.m., 5/6/13 – 6/7/13, 1377 SW 12 Ave., three truck batteries stolen
• Between 5 p.m. and 5:30 a.m., 5/3/13 – 5/6/13, 1851 N. Powerline Rd., two truck batteries stolen
• Between 4:30 p.m. and 5:20 a.m., 5/6/13 – 5/7/13, 1400 SW 1 Ct., four batteries taken
Anyone with information on the recent rash of truck battery thefts, especially where the stolen batteries are being sold, is urged to call BSO Pompano Beach Det. Bob Rutkowski at (954) 786-4242.
INVESTIGATORS: Pompano Beach Det. B. Rutkowski, Sgt. R. Perez, CI
THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO Pompano Beach May 31, 2013 1300