DEERFIELD BEACH HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER ARRESTED
- PIO Number: 13-9-1A
- Date: September 1, 2013
- Time: 3:04 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 800 block West Sample Road, Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Jorge Escalante, 29, male, 04/23/84, 3501 NW 5 Ter., Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
- Edward Thomas, 30, male, 4/16/83, 4601 Military Trail, Deerfield Beach (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives arrested a man in connection to the September 1st hit-and-run where a Pompano Beach man was struck and killed.
On Friday, September 6, detectives located a beige 1995 Toyota Camry in the Highland Park neighborhood of Pompano Beach, which matched the description of the suspect vehicle. Shortly after, the driver of that vehicle contacted investigators wanting to make a statement. Once the interview concluded, detectives placed Edward Thomas, 30, under arrest.
Around 3 a.m. September 1, Jorge Escalante, 29, of Pompano Beach, was crossing the roadway from north to south in the 800 block of West Sample Road when he was struck by a westbound car that failed to stop after striking him. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and BSO deputies responded to the initial call of a person lying in the roadway. On arrival, BSFR pronounced the victim dead on the scene.
BSO Traffic Homicide Unit detectives spent several hours on the scene collecting evidence and processing the scene. The worked tirelessly to locate the vehicle, which was missing the driver’s side view mirror and had sustained damage to the driver’s side fender and door.
Thomas is facing charges of leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in injuries and driving with a suspended license.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-10, THI, BSFR, Lt. Akers, Dets. Kelliher, Morales
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepcion & Mike Jachles/PIO 09/7/13 1630
Posted At: 09/07/2013 03:46 PM
Translate This Page: