DRIVER ACCIDENTALLY STRIKES, KILLS FELLOW CHURCHGOER
CAR CAREENS IN REVERSE, OVER CURB ONTO SIDEWALK
- BSO Case Number: DR12-03-02895
- PIO Number: 12-3-24
- Date: March 18, 2012
- Time: 9:49 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 380 S. Federal Hwy., Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Luciana Porto, 66, female, 11/07/45, Deerfield Beach (DECEASED)
- Mary Sczepanski, 88, female, 03/06/23, Lighthouse Point
Description of Incident:
A woman leaving church was killed after she was struck by a fellow churchgoer’s car Sunday morning in Deerfield Beach.
Around 10 a.m., as Sunday morning mass was letting out at St. Ambrose Catholic Church, Mary Sczepanski, 88, got into her 2007 Buick Century, which was backed-in to a disabled parking space on the northeast corner of the parking lot. Sczepanski accidentally placed the car in reverse, accelerated and struck a curb stop. Apparently startled, she accelerated over the curb stop and onto the sidewalk, still in reverse, unaware a pedestrian was there. The car struck Luciana Porto, 66, of Deerfield Beach and came to rest a short distance away.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Deerfield Beach Units responded and transported the victim to North Broward Medical Center where she was pronounced dead shortly after arrival. The driver of the car and a witness were evaluated on the scene by BSFR but did not require transport to the hospital. Detectives do not believe alcohol or medications were a factor in this crash. The investigation continues and charges, if any, will be pending completion of the traffic homicide investigation.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-10, THI, BSFR, Lt. Akers, Det. A. Morales
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 03/18/12 1630