VICTIM IN LAUDERDALE LAKES CONFRONTATION IDENTIFIED
- BSO Case Number: 04-1302-000977
- PIO Number: 13-2-5A
- Date: 2/14/2013
- Time: 3:13 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Whispering Palms Apartments, 4530 NW 36 Street, Lauderdale Lakes
- Jurisdiction: Lauderdale Lakes
- Sebastian Welds, 22, male, 8/2/90, 4530 NW 36 Street, Apt. 205, Lauderdale Lakes (DECEASED)
- Joel Dunkley, 22, male, 10/6/90, Lauderdale Lakes
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives identified the victim in an early morning confrontation with two off-duty security guards on Valentine’s Day.
Just after 3 a.m. Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to the Whispering Palms apartments at 4530 NW 36 Street in Lauderdale Lakes., following a report of a shooting. Upon arriving, deputies found the lifeless body of Sebastian Welds, 22, lying between two cars and the two security guards on scene.
The guards, Joel Dunkley, 22, and Lucien Dixon, 24, work at the apartment complex. Dunkley also lives there.
The co-workers were returning from a night out when they heard loud music coming from a dark-colored sedan parked in the lot. The two security guards approached the vehicle, and Dixon asked Welds to lower the volume. The exchange escalated when Welds stepped out of his vehicle and confronted Dixon. Dunkley saw Welds reach in the direction of Dixon’s gun. Dunkley feared for their safety and shot Welds. Both security guards remained at the scene waiting for deputies to arrive and cooperated fully with investigators.
Dunkley and Dixon were armed and both have valid concealed weapons permits. A third security guard, who was on duty and witnessed the incident, provided a corroborating statement to investigators.
Weld’s body was transported to the Medical Examiner’s Office. His death was ruled a homicide.
The case will be presented to the State Attorney’s Office for review.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Torres & Foster, CID Homicide; BSFR; Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 2/19/13 1630
Translate This Page: