TWO ARRESTED IN FATAL CLUB SHOOTING
- BSO Case Number: PB05-10-713
- PIO Number: 05-10-3
- Date: October 3, 2005
- Time: 0127
- Place of Occurrence: 261 South Dixie Highway, Pompano Beach
- John Gayle, 25, 6/23/80, male, 2507 NW 4 Street, Fort Lauderdale (DECEASED)
- 1. James Williams, 29, 4/6/76, male, 3151 NW 4 Court, Fort Lauderdale
- 2. Denise Lawyer, 27, 2/2/78, female, 1531 NW 7 Street, apt. 1, Fort Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
A dispute at a Pompano Beach strip club ended early Monday morning with one person dead and two others charged with murder.
At approximately 1:30 a.m. on October 3, 2005, a Broward Sheriff's Office Pompano Beach deputy was on routine patrol when he heard shots fired in the parking lot of Flavors, a nightclub located at 261 South Dixie Highway. The deputy called for backup and stopped two vehicles leaving the club’s parking lot. A witness pointed to James Williams and identified him as the shooter. Williams, along with two other occupants, were removed from the second car, a red 1993 Oldsmobile. The victim, 25-year-old John Gayle, was pronounced dead at the scene.
While interviewing the nightclub’s manager, BSO homicide detectives learned that Gayle and Williams were fighting inside the club just prior to the shooting. In an attempted to defuse the situation, staff members escorted Gayle from the club and they tried to keep Williams from exiting the club. Williams managed to get outside and retrieve a gun from the second suspect, Denise Lawyer, who was already outside. Williams had instructed Lawyer to go and get the gun. Witnesses said Williams walked over to Gayle and shot him.
The Pompano Beach deputy recovered the murder weapon from Williams’ Oldsmobile. BSO detectives said the third person in the Oldsmobile was not involved in the shooting.
Williams and Lawyer were being booked at BSO’s Main Jail Monday morning and expected to be held without bond.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. F. Ilarraza, CI and Homicide Sgt. J. Murray, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO Dist. 11 October 3, 2005 1115
Translate This Page: