ARREST: AGGRAVATED ASSAULT ON DEPUTIES
- BSO Case Number: BS01-08-7885
- PIO Number: 01-8-22
- Date: Aug. 16, 2001
- Time: 2117
- Place of Occurrence: SW 42 Avenue and 18 Street, unincorporated West Hollywood
- BSO Deputies Thomas Palmer, Tom Brent and Wayne Holbrook
- Warren Aiken, 42, 4/9/59, 4023 SW 19 Street, uninc. W. Hollywood
Description of Incident:
A career criminal who shot toward deputies Thursday night was arrested early today following a three-agency manhunt.
At 9:17 p.m. BSO deputies responded to a 911 call from a citizen who said a man was carrying a gun in the 4000 block of SW 19th Street near West Hollywood. As deputies approached, they saw a man running down an alley, heading toward Pembroke Road. As Deputies Thomas Palmer, Tom Brent and Wayne Holbrook pursued the man he fired a shot toward them. The fleeing suspect then crossed Pembroke Road and entered Hollywood.
A large perimeter was established and BSO deputies teamed up with Hollywood and Miramar Police to search for the suspect. Several residents called to report seeing an armed man on the run. At about 1 a.m. a Miramar K-9 team caught the suspect hiding in a sand pile behind Riz Garden Supplies at 6040 Pembroke Road. A double-barrel rifle was found in the 6000 block of Mayo Street. The suspect later admitted the gun was his. He also admitted firing toward the deputies, but said he only wanted to stop them from chasing him.
The suspect, Warren Aiken, 42, was charged by BSO with three counts of Aggravated Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, and Resisting Arrest with Violence. A records check reveals that Aiken has been arrested 16 times on felony charges, has been convicted nine times, and is currently on parole.
- THIS REPORT BY: Sgt. J. Murray, Lt. M. Frise, Dist. 1 Jim Leljedal / PIO Det. K. Erwin, Sgt. E. Baker, CI 8/17/01 1515
- photo of Aiken - Warren Aiken