CYCLIST KILLED IN CRASH IDENTIFIED
BSO NO LONGER LOOKING FOR SECOND DRIVER
- BSO Case Number: DR13-04-00661
- PIO Number: 13-4-5a
- Date: April 5, 2013
- Time: 6:56 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 4800 N. Dixie Hwy., Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Jean Pierre, male, 53, 4/3/60, 3800 N.E. 4th Terr., Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
- Driver 1: Cynthia Metzger, female, 54, 9/26/58, 191 Del Rio Blvd., Boca Raton
Description of Incident:
The cyclist killed Friday morning when he was hit by a car was 53-year-old Jean Pierre of Pompano Beach, who had been on his way to work just across the street from where the crash happened.
An autopsy completed by the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office revealed that Pierre’s injuries were caused by the impact with one vehicle and then the ground. Broward Sheriff’s Office traffic homicide investigators no longer believe a second vehicle ran over the victim as had been mistakenly reported by the driver of the car that hit Pierre.
Cynthia Metzger of Boca Raton had been southbound on North Dixie Highway just before 7 a.m. Friday when she hit Pierre, who rode in front of her in an effort to cross the street. Metzger stopped immediately, frantically trying to get help when she thought she saw another vehicle drive over him. It was dark and raining when the crash happened.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue transported Pierre to Broward Health North, where he died about an hour later.
- INVESTIGATORS: THI Dets. Wiley & DeJesus, Lt. Akers; Deerfield Beach, BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 4/8/13 1500