MAN KILLS MOM IN HER APARTMENT
- BSO Case Number: PB12-01-6962
- PIO Number: 12-1-21
- Date: January 25, 2012
- Time: 4:11 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 111 N. Pompano Beach Blvd., #311, Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Heidi Mittica, female, 48, 11/19/63,111 N. Pompano Beach Blvd., #311, Pompano Beach (DECEASED)
- Danny Martin, male, 30, 3/2/81, 111 N. Pompano Beach Blvd., #311, Pompano Beach (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
A 30-year-old man viciously beat his mother to death this week in her Pompano Beach apartment, wrapped her body in a blanket and tried to clean up the crime scene before fleeing. Danny Martin was arrested a few hours after his mother’s body was discovered.
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives believe the attack that killed Heidi Mittica happened Tuesday evening. When she didn’t show up for work Wednesday, her employer became concerned and sent someone to check on her. Mittica’s body was discovered just after 4 p.m. Wednesday. It didn’t take long for the detectives’ investigation to lead them to her son, who had been living in his mother’s apartment and has an extensive criminal history. With the help of the Boca Raton Police Department, detectives found him at 12:05 a.m. Thursday hiding in his mother’s car, which was parked at 120 Palmetto Park Road in Boca Raton.
Martin had cuts on his face and hands, and his hands were bruised – injuries he apparently sustained as he beat his mother. He was charged with first-degree murder and is being held in BSO’s Main Jail.
Media note: Martin’s mug shot is attached to this release.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. Kogan, Sgt. Ellwood Crime Scene, Pompano Beach
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella 1/26/12 1340