NEIGHBORHOOD DISPUTE TURNS DEADLY MAN SHOT AND KILLED OVER LAWN HEIGHT
- BSO Case Number: LL08-02-00567
- PIO Number: 08-2-14
- Date: February 7, 2008
- Time: 9:56 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 3686 NW 28 Street, Lauderdale Lakes
- Jurisdiction: Lauderdale Lakes
- Jerome Jackson, 51, male, 01/28/57, 3680 NW 28 St., Lauderdale Lakes (DECEASED)
- Lee Andrew Macon, 49, male, 04/01/58, 3686 NW 28 St., Lauderdale Lakes (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
An ongoing dispute over property lines turned deadly in the Eastgate community of Lauderdale Lakes on the morning of February 7th.
Just before 10:00 a.m., Broward Sheriff’s Office Lauderdale Lakes deputies responded to a report of shots fired at 3686 NW 28th Street, Lauderdale Lakes. When deputies arrived, they found a male victim lying on the sidewalk and quickly dragged him to safety. Deputies then entered the house to search for other possible victims, but none were found. During the search, the suspect, Lee Andrew Macon, 49, was located inside the residence and taken into custody without incident. Deputies also observed a gun in the house and secured it.
Macon and the victim, Jerome Jackson, 51, were next door neighbors. The initial investigation indicates the shooting might have occurred because of an ongoing dispute between the two over a property line and the height of the grass. While the lawn was being cut at Macon’s house, Jackson came out of his home at 3680 NW 28 St. Macon also came out of his home. The two men argued and Macon pulled out a gun and shot at Jackson. A struggle over the gun ensued and Macon fired again, striking and killing Jackson. A private lawn service worker cutting the grass witnessed the shooting and called 9-1-1. He was questioned by detectives on the scene. Jackson was pronounced dead at the scene by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue.
Macon will be charged with first degree murder. The Broward Sheriff’s Office Homicide Unit is continuing the investigation.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-4, RID, Homicide, Crime Scene, Sgt. Bukata, Det. Berrena
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO and Alesia Russell/PIO 02/07/08 1530
Translate This Page: