CAR THIEF TAKES WILD RIDE THROUGH BROWARD COUNTY
- BSO Case Number: PB02-03-09218
- PIO Number: 02-3-39
- Date: March 22, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 321 SW 24th St., Ft. Lauderdale
- Sunshine Rent-A-Car, 321 SW 24th St., Ft. Lauderdale
- Stephen Paul Campbell, 33, 8/10/68, 908 SW 1st St., Ft. Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
A suspected car thief took a wild and sometimes dangerous ride throughout Broward County Friday afternoon, all the time closely watched by the Broward Sheriff's Office.
Sometime around 12:30 pm on March 22, 2002, 33-year old Stephen Paul Campbell reportedly stole a late-model car from Sunshine Rent-A-Car at 321 SW 24th Street in Ft. Lauderdale. That vehicle was equipped with the “On-Star” system, which allows it to be tracked if stolen.
Just before 2:00 pm that same day, the Broward Sheriff's Office received a call from “On-Star”, informing dispatch that the stolen rental car was located near 600 S. Cypress Road in Pompano Beach. BSO deputies made visual contact with the stolen car moments later and continued to monitor the vehicle until the BSO helicopter was over the scene just after 2:00 pm.
From that time until approximately 2:50 pm, when Ft. Lauderdale police took the suspect into custody, BSO continued to track the stolen vehicle’s path from the air. Campbell drove the car from Pompano Beach through several BSO jurisdictions, occasionally speeding, driving on the wrong side of the road, and committing other traffic offenses.
Following his arrest, Campbell was taken to North Broward Medical Center for evaluation.
Numerous charges against Campbell may be pending.
- INVESTIGATORS: Broward Sheriff's Office Ft. Lauderdale Police Dept.
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 3/22/02 5:00 pm
- Stephen Paul Campbell - Stephen Paul Campbell
Translate This Page: