ROAD WORKER STRUCK AND KILLED BY DUMP TRUCK
- BSO deputies examine the 1995 Peterbilt dump truck after Tuesday's fatal accident in the 1600 block of Hillsboro Boulevard in Deerfield Beach.
- BSO Case Number: DR12-04-02719
- PIO Number: 12-4-11
- Date: April 17, 2012
- Time: 12:44 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 1600 Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Ricardo Corrales, 53, male, 07/31/58. Hialeah (DECEASED)
- Emis Mauricio Martin-Rojas, 43, male, 10/27/68, Lake Worth
Description of Incident:
A worker on a repaving project was backed over by a dump truck and killed in Deerfield Beach Tuesday afternoon.
At 12:44 p.m., a 1995 Peterbilt dump truck, operated by Emis Mauricio Martin-Rojas, 43, of Lake Worth, was backing up in a construction zone when it struck a co-worker, Ricardo Corrales, 53, of Hialeah. According to Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives, Martin-Rojas was cleared to back the truck up by a flag operator when, according to the driver, he felt he hit something and stopped. The flag operator was running westbound guiding the truck as the driver was trying to keep up with the flagger when, according to witnesses, Corrales walked into the path of the truck when he was struck. He was transported by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue to North Broward Medical Center where he was pronounced dead just after 1 p.m.
Traffic was impacted for several hours after Hillsboro Boulevard was shut down in both directions from A1A to Southeast 12 Avenue as deputies re-routed motorists.
BSO Traffic Homicide Unit detectives are continuing their non-criminal investigation. The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause of death.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-10, THI, BSFR, Lt. Akers, Det. A. Morales
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 04/17/12 2330
Posted At: 04/18/2012 07:20 AM
Translate This Page: