CRUISE SHIP DEATH INVESTIGATED
- BSO Case Number: PE12-01-344
- PIO Number: 12-1-26
- Date: January 30, 2012
- Time: 1:48 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 2025 Eller Dr., berth 25, Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: Port Everglades
- Barbara Wood, 47, 11/17/64, female, Middleborough, Massachusetts (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
A group’s fun at sea ended in tragedy early Monday morning when a Massachusetts woman accidentally fell down a staircase and died.
The unfortunate incident occurred about 1:48 a.m. on Royal Caribbean’s Liberty of the Seas. Barbara Wood, 47, was leaving the ship’s Catacombs nightclub on the last night of a five-day cruise when she slipped on the steps, fell down the stairs and hit her head. Wood was taken to the infirmary where she was pronounced dead at 2:50 a.m.
Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies met the ship when it docked at 5:00 a.m. at Port Everglades at berth 25 in Fort Lauderdale.
As is protocol with any unnatural death at sea, the FBI was notified. BSO homicide and crime scene detectives responded to the scene to investigate. The Broward Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine the official cause and manner of death. Investigators do not suspect foul play. Wood’s death appears to be accidental.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. T. Duggan, CID and Homicide Sgt. D. Ellwood, CID and Sgt. J. Brown, Port Everglades
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO January 30, 2012 1510
Translate This Page: