PRESSURE RISING ON FLAT TIRE THIEVES
- BSO Case Number: DR01-08-4657, PB02-01-9537, BS02-07-11240
- PIO Number: 02-8-39 Dates: August 29, 2001 – July 24, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: Various throughout northern Broward County
- Hispanic male, 30’s, about 5-foot-7, medium build, square face, wide forehead, olive skin, and closely cropped hair.
- Hispanic male, about 5-foot-7, stocky build, about 160 lbs., black hair and a thin moustache.
Description of Incident:
BSO detectives are pumping up the pressure on two men thought to be responsible for a number of “flat tire” thefts throughout Broward County.
The Broward Sheriff's Office, along with other law enforcement agencies, has been on the trail of the dishonest duo since at least August of 2001. The most recent report of the scam within BSO jurisdictions occurred in late July of this year, however there may have been a sighting of the crooks in Margate this past weekend.
The “flat tire” flim-flam works like this: The suspects watch for people withdrawing money from a bank. One suspect punches a small hole in the tire of the intended victim’s vehicle and then the thieves follow the victim as the tire slowly goes flat. When it does, the suspects pull over offering to help. One of the bad guys distracts the victim while the other takes the victim’s purse, wallet, bank bag, or other valuables.
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives have received new bank surveillance photos of one of the suspects. The photos, from Boca Raton investigators trying to track down the bandits, are attached to this news release on our website at www.sheriff.org. In the Boca Raton case, the suspects were seen fleeing in an older model, white, beige, or gray four-door Ford.
In the Margate case, a woman pulled into her driveway with a flat tire and two Hispanic males offered to help. While one worked on the tire and distracted the victim, the other stole the woman’s purse.
Anyone with information on the “flat tire” thieves should call Crime Stoppers anonymously at (954)
493-TIPS. A reward of up to $1,000.00 may be available.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. K. McClure D-9, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 8/20//02 2:00 p.m.
Posted At: 08/20/2002 02:31 PM
Translate This Page: