BSO DETECTIVE TRACKS DOWN VIOLENT ARMED ROBBER
- BSO Case Number: 90-12-09-000410
- PIO Number: 12-9-10A
- Date: Sept. 5, 2012
- Time: 11 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Q. Mitchell Nursery, 2816 W. Sunrise Blvd., near Fort Lauderdale
- Jurisdiction: central Broward County
- Fabian Montero, male, 41, Fort Lauderdale (INJURED)
- Richard Dorsey, male, 43, Fort Lauderdale
- Maurice Ross, male, 31, 5/27/81, 2951 N.W. 9th Place, Fort Lauderdale (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
When a gunman robbed two men Wednesday, inexplicably shooting one compliant victim in the process, at Q. Mitchell nursery, he left behind a trail of evidence for Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives.
On Friday, robbery detectives released a surveillance photo of the suspect’s black pickup and a composite sketch of his face and long, square goatee. By that evening, two days after the violent robbery, detectives had 31-year-old Maurice Ross behind bars, charged with attempted murder, robbery with a firearm, aggravated assault with a firearm and driving with a suspended license.
The incident began around 11 a.m. Wednesday when Fabian Montero and Richard Dorsey stopped at Q. Mitchell Nursery on Sunrise Boulevard to buy some sand. Ross approached them and demanded their cash and belongings. Dorsey escaped, but Montero stayed and complied with Ross’ demands. After Montero handed over his wallet and cell phone, Ross shot him in the leg. Montero remains hospitalized.
While canvassing the neighborhood around Q. Mitchell Nursery after the shooting, a detective noticed a black Chevrolet pickup that looked like the one in the surveillance photo parked in a driveway about four blocks west of the nursery. The man who lived there looked remarkably like the composite sketch done by BSO sketch artist John McMahon. Both victims confirmed that Ross was the person who robbed them. He was taken into custody at 7:40 p.m. Friday.
- INVESTIGATORS: Robbery Dets. Rivera, Peterson, Sgt. Weir, CID BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 9/10/12 1345