PEDESTRIAN WALKING ALONG TRACKS KILLED BY TRAIN
- BSO Case Number: DR12-04-01837
- PIO Number: 12-4-8
- Date: April 12, 2012
- Time: 1:03 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: CSX railroad tracks, north of Sample Road, Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- Male in his 50’s, (name withheld pending positive ID) (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
A man walking a bicycle along railroad tracks in Deerfield Beach was struck and killed by a commuter train Thursday afternoon.
Around 1 p.m., a southbound Tri-Rail train with 130 passengers had just passed NW 48 Street when the engineer spotted a man walking a bicycle on the tracks, in the same direction as the train. The engineer sounded the horn but the pedestrian failed to move from the path of the train, traveling at approximately 65 miles per hour. The pedestrian, a male believed to be in his 50’s, was struck and instantly killed. The train came to a stop just north of Sample Road.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and BSO deputies responded to the scene. Traffic was snarled for about two hours, as the crossing at Sample Road was closed due to the train’s position just several feet from the roadway. There were no other injuries.
The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy on the victim and assist in the positive identification.
- INVESTIGATORS: D-10, CID, Homicide, BSFR, Sgt. Ellwood, Det. E. Torres
- THIS REPORT BY: Mike Jachles/PIO 04/12/12 2130
Posted At: 04/12/2012 10:01 PM
Translate This Page: