LAUDERDALE LAKES APARTMENT FIRE
- BSO Case Number: LL02-02-518
- PIO Number: 02-2-10
- Date: February 6, 2002
- Time: 0656
- Place of Occurrence: Glen Cove Apartments, 2729 NW 39 Terrace, Apt. Lauderdale Lakes
- Laronda Twensdy, 19, 8/26/82, female, 2729 NW 39 Terrace, Lauderdale Lakes
- Willie Rogers, 23, 4/2/78, male, 2729 NW 39 Terrace, Lauderdale Lakes
Description of Incident:
Two people escaped with their lives after the place where they lived was destroyed by fire Wednesday morning in Lauderdale Lakes.
Broward Sheriff's Office deputies and fire fighters from Lauderdale Lakes and Lauderhill fire departments responded to 2729 NW 39 Terrace reference a fire at the Glen Cove Apartment complex shortly before 7 a.m.
Willie Rogers and his girlfriend, Laronda Twensdy, were awakened by the smell of smoke, and they quickly realized the apartment was on fire. As the two ran out of the second floor apartment, Twensdy grabbed the house phone and dialed 911 for help. Rogers and Twensdy were the only two home at the time of the fire.
Fire fighters were able to put out the fire in apartment number 203 without it spreading to other units. No injuries were reported. However, fire investigators determined four surrounding apartments – and possibly other units - received heavy smoke damage.
The American Red Cross was on scene to see to the needs of Rogers, Twensdy and the two other adults and three children who lived in the apartment. The Red Cross is also providing overnight lodging for the additional families whose apartments were affected by the smoke.
The Lauderdale Lakes Fire Marshal and State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating to determine the origin, cause, and estimated damages of the fire.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. M. Rosenthal, Dist. 4 and Fire Marshal C. Smith, Lauderdale Lakes
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Translate This Page: