HATE CRIME INCIDENT
- BSO Case Number: PB02-11-2074
- PIO Number: 02-11-7
- Date: November 6, 2002
- Time: 1055
- Place of Occurrence: 800 block of Hammondville Road, Pompano Beach
- Corey Nesmith, 25, 11/30/76, male, 731 NW 3 Street, Pompano Beach
- Kenneth Frank Greer, 43, 4/9/59, male, 1311 NE 14 Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
A Fort Lauderdale man, who tried to run over a bicyclist because he is black, was arrested Wednesday afternoon in Pompano Beach.
The incident occurred shortly before 11 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of the 800 block of Hammondville Road. Broward Sheriff's Office detectives said Kenneth Greer deliberately grabbed the steering wheel of his car – which was driven by his girlfriend at the time – and jerked it to the right in order to hit 25-year-old Corey Nesmith.
Nesmith was knocked to the ground. He was transported to North Broward Medical Center where he was treated and released the same day of the incident.
During Greer’s sworn statement to BSO detectives, he repeatedly articulated derogatory remarks when referring to the victim telling detectives that he didn’t know how he ended up in “N_____ Town” in the first place.
Greer remains at BSO’s Main Jail facing one count of aggravated battery (hate crime). His bond amount is $10,000.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. T. Baughan, Dist. 11
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Posted At: 11/07/2002 12:53 PM
- Photo of Suspect - Suspect Kenneth Greer
Translate This Page: