BSO INVESTIGATING STOLEN CRUISER
- BSO Case Number: LL02-11-951
- PIO Number: 02-11-13
- Date: November 11, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 4800 N. State Rd. 7, Tamarac, FL, and NW 31st Ave. & NW 19th St., Lauderdale Lakes, FL
- Yvonne Flores, 33,2840 NW 55th Ave., Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Kathryn Vellamy, 33, 221 SW 15th Ave., Delray Beach, FL
- Jules Brant, 31, 8/26/71, 2471 NW 30th Ave., Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Herbert Marlin Johnson, 15, 3/31/87 1520 SW 28th Terrace, Dania Beach, FL
Description of Incident:
A 15-year old boy is facing numerous charges and three people are hospitalized today after the teenager stole and crashed a Broward Sheriff's Office patrol vehicle.
Shortly after 2:00 p.m. on Monday, November 11, 2002, deputies responded to a burglary call at the Community Health Center, 4800 N. State Road 7 in Tamarac. Responding deputies located a suspect, 15-year old Herbert Marlin Johnson. A foot chase ensued, ending about three minutes later at a gas station at the intersection of State Road 7 and Commercial Boulevard in Lauderdale Lakes. Johnson was handcuffed and placed in the back of a BSO patrol vehicle.
It is not yet known how, but at about 2:45 p.m. it seems Johnson was able to get his restrained hands from behind his back to his front, separate the partition between the front and back seats of the patrol vehicle, climb into the front seat, and drive away.
With several patrol units following, Johnson drove aimlessly through parts of Tamarac, Oakland Park, and Lauderdale Lakes. It all ended at about 2:55 p.m. in the southbound lanes of NW 31st Avenue when Johnson caused at least two collisions near the intersection with NW 19th Street in Lauderdale Lakes.
Injured, were 33-year old Yvonne Flores, 33-year old Kathryn Vellamy, 31-year old Jules Grant, and Johnson. Flores, Vellamy, and Johnson were taken to Broward General Medical Center. Grant was taken to Plantation General Hospital. None of the injuries is thought to be life threatening.
The investigation is continuing.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO THI, D-4
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 11/11/02 6:00 p.m.
Translate This Page: