BANK ROBBER ARRESTED DURING MOTEL DISPUTE
- BSO Case Number: LS02-10-00292
- PIO Number: 02-10-35
- Date: Oct. 17, 2002
- Time: 2335
- Place of Occurrence: Thunderbird Motel, 18401 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach
- Bank United, 227 E. Commercial Blvd., Lauderdale-By-The-Sea
- Gary John Johnson, 32, D.O.B.: 6/01/70, 18401 Collins Avenue, #129, Sunny Isles Beach
Description of Incident:
A violent dispute between roommates at a Sunny Isles Beach motel led Broward Sheriff’s Office robbery detectives to the man responsible for robbing a Lauderdale-By-The-Sea bank on October 16th.
Shortly after 11:30 p.m., on Thursday, October 17th, Sunny Isles Beach Police officers were dispatched to the Thunderbird Motel on 18401 Collins Avenue in reference to a violent fight in progress. Once on scene, officers quickly determined the dispute involved two male roommates, one of whom was identified as Gary John Johnson. According to his roommate, Johnson had attempted to lock him out of the unit they shared. The roommate then went on to tell police Johnson was wanted for recently robbing a Broward County bank. He also told detectives Johnson used the stolen funds to purchase clothing and crack cocaine.
Sunny Isles Beach detectives immediately contacted BSO robbery detectives who responded to the scene. Surveillance photos confirmed Johnson was the robber who hit Bank United, located at 227 E. Commercial Boulevard just the day prior.
Johnson was arrested without incident and transported to BSO’s Main Jail where he is being held on a $35,000 bond.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sunny Isles Beach Police Det. Mellies/ CI Robbery
- THIS REPORT BY: Liz Calzadilla /PIO October 21, 2002 1330
Posted At: 10/21/2002 01:45 PM
Translate This Page: