DEATH BY TRAIN
- BSO Case Number: DR02-10-5819
- PIO Number: 02-10-56
- Date: October 30, 2002
- Time: 2211
- Place of Occurrence: CSX Railroad tracks North of Sample Road in Deerfield Beach
- William Seawell, 50, 10/28/52, male, at large (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
Two days after his 50th birthday, a homeless man was struck and killed after he sat on the railroad tracks of an approaching train in Deerfield Beach Wednesday night.
Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives are investigating the apparent suicide, which occurred shortly after 10 p.m. on the CSX railroad tracks less than one mile north of Sample Road.
The freight train was traveling northbound when the conductor spotted what appeared to be a bundle of some sort and started to brake. At that point he realized it was a person sitting on the tracks, but he was unable to stop in time. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was injured.
The victim was identified as William Seawell from a hospital identification bracelet he was wearing. BSO detectives contacted North Broward Medical Center and were told that the victim checked himself out of the hospital on Tuesday, October 29th.
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Det. F. Ilarraza, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO October 31, 2002
Posted At: 10/31/2002 12:42 PM
Translate This Page: