MAN STRUCK BY LIGHTNING DIED AT HOSPITAL
- BSO Case Number: 11-1405-7460
- PIO Number: 14-6-6
- Date: May 29, 2014
- Time: 10:17 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: Joey Accardi Jeep, 909 S. Federal Hwy., Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Robert Elliott, 55, male, 7/9/58, 3410 NW 85 Way, Sunrise (DECEASED)
- Angel Leiva Lopes, 47, male, 11/2/66, 515 NW 34 St., #105, Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
The Sunrise roofer who was struck by lightning last Thursday (5/29) at a job site in Pompano Beach succumbed to his injuries Monday.
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives received a call from Jackson Memorial Hospital notifying them that Robert Elliott, 55, died early Monday morning. Four days earlier, Elliott had been working construction on the roof of the Joey Accardi car dealership with his Latite Roofing co-worker, Angel Leiva Lopes, 47. According to witnesses, a thunder storm approached and Elliott appeared to be struck by lightning. Lopes, who was also on the roof, suffered minor injuries.
Broward Sheriff’s Office communications received the call around 10:20 a.m. Other workers began cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Elliot until Pompano Beach Fire Rescue arrived and transported both victims to Broward Health North. Lopes was treated and released, while Elliot was transferred to Jackson Memorial Hospital in critical condition. Elliott was pronounced dead on June 2. The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office conducted the autopsy and ruled the death accidental.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was notified of the incident.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Scott, CID Homicide; BSFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 6/3/14 1730
Posted At: 06/03/2014 05:26 PM
Translate This Page: