SCHOOL BUS STABBING
- BSO Case Number: NL02-3-1522
- PIO Number: 02-3-33
- Date: March 20, 2002
- Time: 1505
- Place of Occurrence: Near the intersection of Brae Burn and Silverado, North Lauderdale
- John Lewis, 17, 10/2/84, male, 6613 Boulevard of Champions, North Lauderdale
- 16-year-old (7/12/85) Coconut Creek High male student
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office aggravated felonies detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding a stabbing that occurred on a Broward County school bus late Wednesday afternoon in North Lauderdale.
Around 3 p.m. two Coconut Creek High School teenagers were involved in a physical altercation when one stabbed the other. The victim, John Lewis, was transported from the scene near the intersection of Brae Burn and Silverado and taken to North Broward Medical Center where he was treated and released.
The suspect, who ran from the bus after the stabbing, was taken into custody, a short distance from the crime scene, at his home in the 1300 block of Silverado. He was later detained at the BSO District 15 (North Lauderdale) Office. BSO deputies also recovered the weapon, a knife with a 3 to 4 inch blade.
Based on the evidence in this case and statements from witnesses, the 16-year-old suspect faces one count of aggravated battery. The suspect declined to give detectives a statement, and instead preferred to consult with his attorney.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. M. DeVita & Det. G. Benito, Agg. Felonies
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Posted At: 03/21/2002 02:41 PM
Translate This Page: