CRIME STOPPERS TIP LEADS TO CAPTURE OF ADULT VIDEO STORE ARMED ROBBER Suspects Video Debut is his last
- BSO Case Number: TM02-10-00203
- PIO Number: 02-10-21
- Date: October 12, 2002
- Time: 1800
- Place of Occurrence: 900 SE 1st Street, Pompano Beach (suspect residence)
- (9/15/02) Adult Novelty Video, 2500 N. Powerline Road, Pompano Beach
- (10/02/02) Video Outlet-III, Inc., 3803 W. Commercial Blvd, Bay-C, Tamarac
- (10/05/02) University Video, 4461 N. University Drive, Lauderhill
- Mateo Ortiz, 33, H/M, D.O.B.: 9/12/69, 900 SE 1st Street, Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
He evaded justice for weeks, but good quality surveillance video coupled with an anonymous Crime Stoppers tip led Broward Sheriff's Office robbery detectives to an armed suspect wanted in connection with a string of adult video store robberies.
Mateo Ortiz was arrested without incident on Saturday, October 12th, at his Pompano Beach residence.
Cameras were rolling on October 2nd, when Ortiz, armed with a handgun, hit the Video Outlet-III, Inc., located at 3803 West Commercial Blvd. The tape showed him making his way behind the counter and ordering store patrons to a corner of the business. He is then seen helping himself to the cash while holding a clerk at gunpoint. No shots were fired and he escaped through the front door.
After his arrest, Ortiz confessed to two other adult video store armed robberies. The first occurred on September 15th, 2002 at the Adult Novelty Video store, located at 2500 N. Powerline Road in Pompano Beach. Ortiz terrorized store employees and patrons again on October 5th, when he held up the University Video store at 4461 N. University Drive in Lauderhill.
Ortiz is being held without bond at BSO’s Main Jail.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. W. Wesolowski, Robbery Dets. A. Rubin & L. Crew, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Liz Calzadilla/PIO October 13, 2002 1 p.m.
- Ortiz - Ortiz
Translate This Page: