HOLIDAY WEEKEND TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT UNDERWAY
NEARLY 400 TRAFFIC FATALITIES PREDICTED NATIONWIDE
- Date: August 30, 2013 PIO Number: 13-8-40
Broward Sheriff’s Office Highway Unit and D.U.I. Task Force deputies will be out in force over the Labor Day holiday weekend to keep the roadways safe.
This afternoon, BSO deputies and commercial vehicle enforcement units converged on U. S. Highway 27 and Interstate 75 in Western Broward conducting traffic enforcement. In addition to increased visibility around the county, the BSO Highway Unit will conduct an aggressive driving enforcement operation with Cooper City District deputies tonight from 8 p.m. – midnight.
The BSO D.U.I. Task Force will assist the Hollywood Police Department with a D.U.I. checkpoint from 9 p.m tonight until 5 a.m. tomorrow in the 1200 block of North Federal Highway in that city.
On Sunday, September 1, a countywide D.U.I. saturation patrol utilizing district deputies and the BSO D.U.I. Task Force will run from 9 p.m. – 5 a.m. Monday.
To ensure a safe Labor Day holiday weekend, the National Safety Council recommends drivers:
• Establish and enforce a distraction-free zone, especially in cars equipped with electronic devices including cell phones, global positioning systems and other in-vehicle technology
• Make sure all passengers are buckled up and children are in correctly-installed safety seats appropriate for their age and size
• Allow plenty of travel time to avoid frustration and diminish the impulse to speed
• Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during inclement weather
• Designate a non-drinking driver or plan for alternative transportation, such as a taxi
The holiday traffic enforcement period will officially run from 6 p.m. Friday through 11:59 p.m. Monday. The National Safety Council predicts that 394 traffic fatalities and 42,200 injuries requiring medical treatment will occur in the U.S. during this period. Deputies will be enforcing moving violations, speeding, aggressive/reckless driving, move over law violators and intoxicated/impaired drivers.
THIS REPORT BY:
Posted At: 08/30/2013 06:26 PM
Translate This Page: