THIRD SUSPECT IN BOY’S MURDER ARRESTED
- BSO Case Number: PB02-10-2244 (Update 6)
- PIO Number: 02-12-4
- Date: December 1, 2002 (of arrest)
- Time: 0330
- Place of Occurrence: 830 NW 5 Avenue, Pompano Beach
- Jawon Matthews, 12, 5/11/90, male, 4075 Lakeside Dr., Tamarac (DECEASED)
- 1. Vondyleyn Sutton, 31, 7/17/71, male, 2340 NW 14 Court, Fort Lauderdale
- 2. Lavonshea “Von-shay” Wright, 25, 4/30/77, male, Broward County at large
- 3. Willie Laster, 26, 1/14/76, male, 2600 NW 14 Street, Fort Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
The third and final suspect involved in the death of a 12-year-old boy, who was deliberately shot and killed in Pompano Beach in October when the intended victim ran for safety, has been arrested.
Fort Lauderdale PD arrested Twenty-six year old Willie Laster on a warrant early Sunday morning in the 2600 block of East Commercial Boulevard. The Broward State Attorney’s Office obtained the arrest warrant following a recent grand jury indictment on a charge of Attempted First Degree Murder.
The fatal shooting took place the afternoon of Sunday, October 6th at 830 NW 5 Avenue in Pompano Beach. Twelve-year-old Jawon Matthews was gunned down in cold blood as he sat in the front yard of his godmother’s house.
BSO homicide detectives determined that Lavonshea Wright, known on the street as “von-shay,” got into a fight at the Emerald City lounge the night before the murder (Oct. 5). Wright lost several teeth in the fracas and recruited his friends, Laster and Vondyleyn Sutton to help mete out revenge. Wright, Sutton, and Laster drove to the Lumsdon home, looking for the combatants, and Sutton shot young Jawon twice when he remained in the yard instead of running away. Laster was there to point out the intended victim.
Sutton was arrested by the BSO SWAT team three days after the incident (10/9/02) and jailed on a First Degree Murder charge. Wright, who detectives said instigated the fatal shooting, surrendered on October 15th and was charged with Principal in the First Degree (to murder).
- INVESTIGATORS: Homicide Sgt. B. O’Neil and Det. Ilarraza, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright /PIO , CI
Posted At: 12/02/2002 04:33 PM
Translate This Page: