BSO STOPS BURGLARS IN THEIR TRACKS
- PIO Number: 13-10-14
- BSO Case Number: 90-1310-000127
- Date: October 11, 2013
- Time: 11:12 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 16705 Berkshire Court, Southwest Ranches
- Jurisdiction: Southwest Ranches
- Mikki McKnight, female, Southwest Ranches
- Michael Campblin, male, 19, 3/25/94, 15950 S.W. 7th St., Pembroke Pines (IN CUSTODY)
- Christopher Diaz, male, 20, 10/15/92, 16328 S.W. 23 St., Miramar (IN CUSTODY)
- Juvenile, male, age 17 (IN CUSTODY)
- Juvenile, male, age 16 (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
When an astute Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy stopped a suspicious vehicle Friday night in Southwest Ranches, he likely also stopped four criminals with devious plans.
BSO received a call about a residential alarm at 11:12 p.m. at 16705 Berkshire Court, but deputies found nothing amiss at the home. Less than an hour later, Deputy Paul Sada returned to the area and noticed a red Dodge Charger leaving the area. The car matched the description of one that had been linked to a previous burglary in Southwest Ranches. The adult and juvenile inside the car couldn’t explain why they were in the area and eventually admitted they were acting as lookouts for two accomplices who were in the process of breaking into a house. Deputies from neighboring districts helped set up a perimeter and determined that a bedroom window at the house where the alarm had gone off had been smashed. No one was home at the time. As BSO’s helicopter searched for the burglars by air, K-9 deputies tracked by ground. K-9s eventually found the two criminals hiding in a fenced yard. The two initially ignored deputies’ orders to show their hands and surrender, and one was bitten on the arm by a K-9 but was not seriously injured. Both were taken into custody.
Deputies found a loaded 9 mm handgun under the driver’s seat of the Charger. There were also gloves, a screwdriver, a small saw and a flashlight in the car. The two adults and two juveniles were charged with armed burglary and resisting arrest without violence. Campblin and Diaz were transported to BSO’s Main Jail. The two juveniles were taken to the Juvenile Assessment Center and then to the Juvenile Detention Center.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Steven Murley, SWR; Cooper City, Weston
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 10/14/13 1800
Posted At: 10/12/2013 05:57 PM
Translate This Page: