FLEEING MOTORCYCLIST RUNS OVER DEPUTY, THEN CRASHES IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY
- BSO Case Number: BS 08-1311-001057
- PIO Number: 13-11-18
- Date: 11/20/13
- Time: 9:20 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 2500 block of Weston Road, Weston
- Jurisdiction: Weston
- BSO Sgt. John Kelly, 22-year veteran, assigned to Weston District
(Booking Photo from March 2012)
- Michael Scott Ciriago, 31, male, 9/23/82, 3815 West Park Rd., Hollywood
Description of Incident:
A veteran Broward Sheriff’s Office motorman is lucky to be alive after being intentionally run over Wednesday morning by a motorcyclist in Weston.
Motorcycle deputies in Weston were conducting routine traffic enforcement around 9:20 a.m. November 20 in the 2500 block of Weston Road. They stopped motorcyclist Michael Ciriago for a traffic violation. Ciriago pulled over, but when Sgt. John Kelly approached and was in front of the suspect’s motorcycle, Ciriago put his bike in gear and ran over the sergeant. Two other deputies witnessed the incident and fired at Ciriago, striking him once in the right elbow. Ciriago fled the scene with motormen in pursuit, but the pursuit was called off once the BSO Aviation unit spotted the suspect. Ciriago began heading eastbound on U.S. 27 toward Miami-Dade County, so deputies requested the assistance of the Miami-Dade Police Department. After the suspect went under the overpass of the Florida Turnpike, he made a U-turn onto the westbound lanes of U.S. 27, sideswiping a BSO deputy in an unmarked unit and then crashing into an MDPD cruiser.
Ciriago was airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami, where he’s being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Sgt. Kelly, a 22-year veteran with BSO, was transported to Cleveland Clinic in Weston, where he was treated and released.
Ciriago was released from prison in 2005 after serving a sentence for aggravated fleeing. Other charges in his criminal history include resisting a law enforcement officer, numerous traffic charges, DUI, possession of narcotics, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, kidnapping, possession of a firearm and dealing in stolen property. Though his license has been suspended numerous times, it is currently valid.
Ciriago will face charges of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, felony fleeing and eluding and will face separate charges in Dade County.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Perez & Sgt. Ellwood, CID Homicide; Weston; MDPD; BSO Aviation; Crime Scene
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 11/20/13 1700
- PIO 13-11-18 Fleeing Motorcyclist Runs Over Deputy - PIO 13-11-18 Fleeing Motorcyclist Runs Over Deputy
- PIO 13-11-18 FLEEING MOTORCYCLIST RUNS OVER DEPUTY, THEN CRASHES IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY - PIO 13-11-18 FLEEING MOTORCYCLIST RUNS OVER DEPUTY, THEN CRASHES IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY
Translate This Page: