STORE EMPLOYEE ATTACKED BY SHOPLIFTERS
- BSO Case Number: DR02-03-02117
- PIO Number: 02-3-17
- Date: March 10, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: Publix store at 3740 W. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach
- Publix employee, 18-years old of Pompano Beach (name withheld for his safety)
- Two unidentified men: Both are of Hispanic origin, in their mid to late 20’s, approximately 6-feet tall, 170-190 pounds, and of medium build. One suspect has dark hair with a crew cut and was clean-shaven. The other has dark, straight hair and was wearing a goatee.
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office detectives are asking for help tracking down two would-be shoplifters who returned to the scene of the crime to violently confront the store employee who turned them in.
Late on the afternoon of Sunday, March 10, 2002, surveillance cameras captured the suspects loading cases of beer into a shopping cart and then attempting to wheel it out of the Publix store at 3740 W. Hillsboro Boulevard in Deerfield Beach. Before they could get out the door, an
Attentive, 18-year store worker notified his manager of the suspicious pair. The manager was able to retrieve the beer before the men could steal it. The couple fled in an older, maroon-colored Cadillac with what appeared to be an out-of-state license plate.
A short time later, at about 5:30 pm, the Publix employee was in the store’s parking lot collecting shopping carts when the two would-be shoplifters returned, armed with knives, and confronted the employee. One man said something about the employee being a “snitch” and then slashed the young worker’s arm. The other thrust a blade forward, inflicting a minor stab wound to the employee’s abdomen. The attackers then fled.
A reward of up to $1,000.00 is available for information leading to the arrest of the men who attacked this employee. Anyone with information about the pair should call Crime Stoppers at
(954) 493-TIPS. Still photographs of the two assailants are attached to this news release posted on our website: WWW.SHERIFF.ORG.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det.D. Argenti
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 3/14/02 11:00am
Translate This Page: