MISSISSIPPI MAN CHARGED WITH DEERFIELD BEACH MURDER
- BSO Case Number: DR01-12-4090 (UPDATED)
- PIO Number: 02-5-31
- Date: December 20, 2001
- Time: 2315
- Place of Occurrence: 170 SE 3 Street, #3, Deerfield Beach
- Daisy Mae Rolle, 47, 3/30/54, female, same as above (DECEASED)
- Mickel Rollins, 46, 7/5/55, male, 677 US Highway 589 Apt. 1, Purvis, Mississippi
Description of Incident:
The man responsible for the death of a Deerfield Beach woman, whose body was discovered after firefighters put out a small fire in her apartment last December, is back in Broward facing murder and arson charges.
Mickel Rollins was extradited back to Broward County from Mississippi on Wednesday for the murder of a female acquaintance, Daisy Mae Rolle. Rolle’s body was discovered on December 20, 2001, shortly after 11 p.m. in her apartment located at 170 SE 3 Street. BSO homicide detectives said Rolle was found lying in a pool of blood in her bedroom with outward signs of trauma to her body.
Following an autopsy, the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office determined Rolle died as a result of blunt trauma to the head.
BSO homicide detectives said Rollins and Rolle were drinking and doing drugs when Rollins got very upset and struck Rolle over the head several times with a glass liquor bottle. Rollins started a fire in the apartment to cover up his crime then fled the scene in his red Honda CRX. Witnesses recalled seeing the small red car outside the apartment the night of the killing.
Shortly after the murder Rollins fled to Mississippi, where BSO homicide detectives tracked him down after receiving a call from the Lamar County Sheriff’s Office on May 1, 2002. Rollins remains in the BSO Main Jail without bond charged with first-degree murder and arson.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. O’Neil, Det. Duggan & Det. Nicolson, Homicide
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
- Photo of suspect - Mickel Rollins