BUSINESS BURGLARS CAUGHT IN THE ACT
- BSO Case Number: 10-1310-000192
- PIO Number: 13-10-9
- Date: 10/7/13
- Time: 12:15 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 2531 W. Sample Road, Deerfield Beach
- Jurisdiction: Deerfield Beach
- State of Florida
- Luis Taveras, 23, male, 9/12/90, 5200 NE 5 Terr., Deerfield Beach
- Yeimy Araujo, 22, female, 12/21/90, 1426 SW 1 Way, Deerfield Beach
Description of Incident:
There was nothing mysterious about the way a pair of burglars planned to get their hands on merchandise from Mystical Spirits Wine & Liquor in Deerfield Beach. The not-so-subtle thieves were in the process of cutting a hole into the wall of the business when they got caught.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach Crime Suppression Team was conducting a surveillance operation at the plaza located at 2531 W. Sample Road. Shortly after midnight on October 7, detectives saw the burglars, dressed all in black, break the glass of the vacant Quizno’s next to the liquor store. With the assistance of the Pompano Beach Crime Suppression Team and the BSO SWAT team, the business was surrounded. As SWAT team members entered through the shattered storefront, the crooks tried to run out through the back door, but were greeted by BSO personnel.
Luis Taveras, 23, and Yeimy Araujo, 22, were nabbed with ski masks over their heads and cutting tools in hand.
They face charges of burglary to a business and possession of burglary tools. Araujo also admitted to taking part in an early August burglary to a Metro PCS store in Pompano Beach and was add-charged with burglary and grand theft.
The case is ongoing as detectives investigate at least a dozen cases with similar m.o.s in Palm Beach and Broward.
***MEDIA NOTE: Clear video of the break-in is available for download on our website www.sheriff.org.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Sebest, Dist. 10; DBCST; SWAT, PBCST
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 10/8/13 1500
- 13-10-9 BUSINESS BURGLARS CAUGHT IN THE ACT - 13-10-9 BUSINESS BURGLARS CAUGHT IN THE ACT