NAMED: BURGLARS CAUGHT IN THE ACT
- BSO Case Number: BS01-09-12928 (UPDATE)
- PIO Number: 01-9-35
- Date: Sept. 27, 2001
- Time: 1718
- Place of Occurrence: P&S Grocery, 1550 NW 27 Ave., uninc. Ft. Lauderdale
- State of Florida
- Sgt. Raymond Collazo, Broward Sheriff's Office
- Dep. Chad Bailey, Broward Sheriff's Office
- C.W. Jefferson, 40, 4/10/61, male, 3211 NW 43 Ave., Lauderdale Lakes
- Beauregard Cummings, 50, 3/17/51, male, 1710 NW 27 Ave. uninc. Ft. Laud.
Description of Incident:
BSO detectives have released the names of two men arrested Thursday night after being caught in the act of burglarizing a business and then attempting to run over the BSO deputies who arrived to arrest them.
The crime occurred at the P & S Grocery, a neighborhood convenience store at 1550 NW 27th Avenue near Fort Lauderdale. The store has been closed since September 18th when its operator was shot in the face during a robbery. A heavy metal gate was closed and locked, securing the front door. At 5:18 p.m. an anonymous called dialed 911 and said someone was trying to break in. BSO Deputy Chad Bailey, on patrol in the area, responded and arrived seconds later, along with his sergeant, Ray Collazo.
The two suspects, driving a rented late model Chevrolet Trail Blazer SUV, had attached a chain to both the vehicle’s trailer hitch and the gate and had managed to pull the gate half-way off the front door. The deputy and sergeant approached with guns drawn, ordering the men out of the vehicle. The Chevy surged forward, breaking the chain, and heading toward the two BSO employees. The deputy and sergeant fired, striking the vehicle but missing its occupants. The Chevy then fled northbound on NW 27th Avenue, but crashed into a wooden fence at NW 18th Court. The suspects exited the vehicle and fled on foot but were immediately apprehended, without incident, by deputies.
The driver of the Chevrolet, C.W. Jefferson, 40, was charged with Attempted Murder, Resisting Arrest and Attempted Burglary. His passenger and accomplice, Beauregard Cummings, 50, was charged with Resisting Arrest and Attempted Burglary.
- THIS REPORT BY: Det. D. Devine, CI Jim Leljedal / PIO Chief S. Canfield, Lt. R. Moss, Dist. 5 9/28/01 1:45 pm
Posted At: 09/28/2001 01:57 PM
Translate This Page: