LITTLE GIRL SAFE AFTER CARJACKING
- BSO Case Number: DN02-03-1170
- PIO Number: 02-3-13
- Date: March 10, 2002
- Time: 8:50 pm
- Place of Occurrence: 7-11 store at 205 East Dania Beach Blvd., Dania Beach
- Shavonte, 6-year old female, 6/4/95 (last name withheld)
- Unknown black male, 6-feet tall, short-cropped hair, last seen wearing a checkered
- shirt and dark pants, armed with a chrome-colored handgun
Description of Incident:
A 6-year old girl appears to be okay following a nearly 2-hour long carjacking ordeal that started at a Dania Beach convenience store and ended near Carol City in Miami-Dade County.
Shortly before 9:00 pm on Sunday, March 11, 2002, a 1997 Chevrolet conversion van pulled into the 7-11 store at 205 East Dania Beach Boulevard. Inside the green van were two men, two women, and the little girl, Shavonte.
Almost immediately after the two men got out of the van and went into the store, a gunman appeared, threatened the two women, and ordered them from the vehicle. The carjacker jumped into the van and sped away, apparently unaware that a small child was asleep beneath a blanket on the back seat.
Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies converged on the convenience store and mounted a massive effort to locate the stolen vehicle with Shavonte inside. Deputies and detectives were immediately given a description of the van and the BSO helicopter took to the air. A bulletin was broadcast to every law enforcement agency in the state.
Nearly two hours passed before the stolen van and Shavonte were located. The little girl was found at about 11:20 pm in the Carol City area of Miami-Dade County. She’ll be given a thorough checkup to make sure she’s okay.
The carjacker is still at large as the investigation continues.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. J. Donadio
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 12:30 am