MAN CHARGED WITH FELONY AGAINST FOWL
- BSO Case Number: NL02-06-01648
- PIO Number: 02-6-28
- Date: June 24, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: Courtyards of Broward, 1800 SW 81st Ave., North Lauderdale
- State of Florida
- Willie James Armster, 37, 8/24/64, 2201 NW 8th Ct., 27-4, Ft. Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
The groundskeeper of a North Lauderdale condominium complex was booked into BSO’s North Broward Bureau jail after reportedly beating a Muscovy duck to death.
At about 9:30 the morning of Monday, June 24, 2002, deputies from the Broward Sheriff's Office were called to the Courtyards of Broward at 1800 SW 81st Avenue. A witness reported seeing a man repeatedly strike a duck with a broom, place the bird in a plastic bag, and then drive off on a golf cart.
The deputy spoke to the groundskeeper, 37-year old Willie James Armster of 2201 NW 8th Court in Ft. Lauderdale, who told the deputy that he had tried to “shoo away” the duck and had possibly hit the animal too hard.
The lifeless fowl was found inside a nearby dumpster. On the top and side of the duck’s head, the deputy found blood. The bristles of the broom used to kill the bird held a feather.
Armster, who had recently bonded out from a June 8th drug arrest, was charged with intentionally causing the cruel death of an animal. His bond was set at $2,500.00.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. M. Vadnal
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 6/25/02 12:30 p.m.
- Willie James Armster - Willie James Armster