WOMAN CHARGED WITH PLAYING DOCTOR Deerfield Beach Business Under Investigation
- BSO Case Number: DR02-10-04591
- PIO Number: 02-10-45
- Date: October 24, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 900 SE 8th Avenue, Suite 304, Deerfield Beach, FL
- State of Florida
- Christiane Arujo Raffo, 36, 1/5/66, 4907 NE 9th Ave., Oakland Park, FL
Description of Incident:
The Broward Sheriff's Office is charging a 36-year old Oakland Park woman with practicing medicine at an unlicensed facility in Deerfield Beach.
According to investigators from the Broward Sheriff's Office and the Florida Department of Health, Christiane Arujo Raffo was the sole operator of the Advanced Brazilian Aesthetic Center at 900 SE 8th Avenue. Based on evidence seized from the business, Raffo may have been performing botox injections, silicone injections, plastic surgery, and breast augmentation procedures.
A BSO deputy, acting on a tip, went into the suspect facility shortly after 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 24, 2002. The deputy met with Raffo and told the woman why he was there. He asked Raffo if she was a doctor or if there was a licensed doctor affiliated with the facility. Raffo answered no to both questions, but told the deputy that her operation was limited solely to beauty and body massage.
As he was being escorted to a back office, the deputy noticed a number of examination rooms and several packages of controlled substances, some of which was later identified as Xylocaine (Lidocaine and Epinephrine). The deputy placed Raffo under arrest and transported her to the Broward Sheriff's Office Main Jail. Raffo’s 15-year old daughter, who had tried to hide some liquid-filled syringes, was also arrested at the scene and charged with evidence tampering.
Investigators are asking anyone who may have been a victim of Raffo’s illegal operation to contact the Florida Department of Health’s Unlicensed Activity Hotline at 1-877-425-8852 or Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Dep. C. Smith, Dist.-10; Enrique Torres, Chief Investigator, FL. Dept. of Health; Thomas Curry, CI, FL Dept. of Health
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 10/25/02 1:00 p.m.
Posted At: 10/25/2002 12:00 AM
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 7 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 7
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 3 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 3
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 5 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 5
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 1 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 1
- Christiane Arujo Raffo - Christiane Arujo Raffo
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 2 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 2
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 4 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 4
- Evidence Siezed From Scene 6 - Evidence Siezed From Scene 6
Translate This Page: