FATHER PLEADS FOR INFORMATION IN TEEN’S DEATH
Date: August 16, 2013
PIO Number: 13-8-23
- News Conference
- 10 a.m. Monday, August 19, 2013
- Public Safety Building 2601 W. Broward Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- It’s been 11 years since Marissa Karp’s murder, but her father remains committed to finding out who took her life at the young age of 17. Gary Karp’s quest continues Monday on the anniversary of Marissa’s death when he joins Broward Sheriff Scott Israel and Homicide Det. John Curcio at a news conference in the hopes of generating new leads in the case.
- A digital billboard donated by the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood is also helping to spread the word. The billboard located at I-95 and Hallandale Beach Boulevard in Pembroke Park asks the question, “Who murdered Marissa Karp?” and directs anyone with knowledge of the crime to phone in information to 954.493.TIPS.
- On August 19, 2002, Collier County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to the L-28 canal near Mile Marker 52 on Alligator Alley after a water management worker discovered a plastic bag containing the body of a young woman floating in the water. Investigators later identified the victim as Marissa Karp, also known as Shorty, of Broward County.
- Initially, BSO homicide detectives assisted the Collier County Sheriff’s Office with the death investigation, but later became the lead investigating agency when it was determined Marissa was shot to death in Broward. BSO homicide detectives said her body was removed from an apartment in Hallandale Beach, then dumped on Alligator Alley.
- Numerous tips have been received from the Broward County community, but detectives are hoping for that one tip that will help them close the case and charge the killer. Anyone with information about Marissa Karp’s murder is urged to contact Broward County Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org. The reward in this case is now up to $14,800.
- MEDIA NOTE: Gary Karp can be reached at (954) 805-8889 or Marissasfather@ gmail.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/whokilledmarissakarp.
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright - PIO