ONE DEAD AS GROUP OF MIGRANTS WASHES ASHORE IN HILLSBORO BEACH
BSO HOMICIDE DETECTIVES INVESTIGATE THE DEATH
- BSO Case Number: 90-1408-003781
- PIO Number: 14-8-20
- Date: August 25, 2014
- Time: 2:14 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: private beach near 1021 Hillsboro Mile, Hillsboro Beach
- unidentified female (DECEASED)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives are investigating the death of a woman who apparently drowned in an attempt to reach the shore with 19 other Haitian migrants early Monday morning in Hillsboro Beach. The illegal smuggling venture is being investigated by BSO and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
At approximately 2:14 a.m. Hillsboro Beach Police received reports of migrants coming ashore a private beach near 1021 Hillsboro Mile. BSO Deerfield Beach district deputies, BSO Marine Unit, Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office Marine Unit, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Coast Guard responded to the scene and aided in the rescue and recovery.
The group consisted of 20 Haitian migrants, both male and female and ranging in ages. Many of the people had already arrived on shore as the various agencies responded to the scene. Two women were still in the water and in distress. One woman was rescued. She was treated and later transported to Broward Health North by Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue. The second woman was pronounced dead at the scene. One of the migrants was recovered from a beach near Boca Raton by PBSO’s Marine Unit.
BSO homicide detectives are conducting a death investigation and working to determine the victim’s identity. Her body was transported to the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office which will determine the cause of death. BSO and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is investigating the illegal smuggling operation.
- INVESTIGATORS: BSO Homicide Det. Kevin Forsberg, BSO Homicide Sgt. Dave Ellwood, BSO Marine Unit, U.S. Coast Guard, BSO Homeland Security, Hillsboro Beach PD, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, PBSO Marine Unit and U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- THIS REPORT BY: Gina Carter/PIO 8/25/14 1050
Translate This Page: