BEWARE OF INCOME TAX SCAM
- BSO Case Number: several
- PIO Number: 08-12-17
- Date: April 2007
- Place of Occurrence: Smart Taxes, Inc., 3896 West Commercial Boulevard, Tamarac
- Jurisdiction: Tamarac
- 1. Mylena Concepcion, 34, female, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
- 2. Trisha Gordon, 28, female, Hiram, Georgia
- 3. Andy Witter, 45, female, Loxahatchee, Florida
- Lorna Elizabeth Armstrong, aka Lorna Bradley, 1/20/56, female (AT LARGE)
Description of Incident:
As the end of the year approaches and income tax preparation begins, Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives are warning residents to beware of a woman who’s known for her fraudulent tax service practices.
The BSO has obtained an arrest warrant for 52-year-old Lorna Elizabeth Armstrong. Armstrong, who also goes by the name of Lorna Bradley, is wanted for grand theft. BSO detectives said at the beginning of each year Armstrong opens an income tax preparation business. After completing the customer’s tax return and without the customer’s knowledge Armstrong alters the tax forms to have her client’s tax overpayment deposited into her personal checking account. Then Armstrong changes office locations once the tax season ends.
So far, detectives have documented three victims who contacted Smart Taxes, Inc. in Tamarac last year to have their 2006 tax returns prepared. Their total loss was just under $10,000.
Anyone who believes they were victimized by Lorna Armstrong or knows her whereabouts is asked to call BSO Tamarac Detective Tony Degrace at (954) 720-2225 or call Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at (954) 493-TIPS or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
MEDIA NOTE: A PHOTO OF ARMSTRONG IS ATTACHED TO THIS NEWS RELEASE.
- INVESTIGATORS: CI Dets. T. Degrace & M. Joo, Tamarac
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO Tamarac December 9, 2008 1330
Translate This Page: