TODDLER KILLED BY OUT-OF-CONTROL VEHICLE
- BSO Case Number: 12-1407-000605
- PIO Number: 14-7-6
- Date: July 5, 2014
- Time: 6:42 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 700 block of Northwest 42 Street, Oakland Park
- Jurisdiction: Oakland Park
- Joshua Snyder, 4, male, 3/21/10, 19616 Canal Dr., Sugarloaf Key (DECEASED)
- Estelida Morales, 54, female, 3/24/60, 706 N.W. 42 St., Oakland Park (HOSPITALIZED)
- Delivrance Delien, 65, male, 5/4/49, 7526 S.W. 7 Ct., North Lauderdale
Description of Incident:
An elderly man lost control of his vehicle as he attempted to reverse out of a driveway Saturday afternoon in Oakland Park, claiming the life of a 4-year-old boy.
Delivrance Delien, 65, was visiting a residence in the 700 block of Northwest 42 Street on July 5. When he got in his silver Chevrolet Tracker to leave, at around 6:30 p.m., he says he accidentally stepped on the accelerator as he reversed out of the driveway. His car sped out of the driveway driving in a circle until it crashed into an unoccupied vehicle parked on the street. Delien then sped forward as he tried to make a U-turn to leave the neighborhood, but again lost control of his SUV, driving into the front yard of a home at 706 N.W. 42 Street. He struck the vehicle parked in the driveway of that home, which in turn struck Estelida Morales, 54, and her 4-year-old grandson, Joshua, as they stood in front of the residence.
Oakland Park Fire Rescue transported both victims to Broward Health Medical Center, where Joshua was pronounced dead. Morales was admitted with non-life-threatening injuries.
Delien remained on scene and cooperated with BSO Traffic Homicide detectives.
The case is ongoing and charges will be pending the outcome of the investigation.
- INVESTIGATORS: Dets. Wiley & Kelliher, THI; BSO Crime Scene; OPFR
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 7/5/14 1540
Translate This Page: