POMPANO BEACH PEDESTRIAN STRUCK BY VEHICLE MAY LOSE LIMB
- BSO Case Number: PB03-01-12027
- PIO Number: 03-01-51
- Date: Thursday, January 30, 2003
- Time: 0650
- Place of Occurrence: West Sample Road at North Powerline, Pompano Beach
- Margaret Morehead, W/F, 45, 5/2/57, Wackenhut Corrections Facility,
- 3900 N. Powerline, Pompano Beach
- Minoweag Menistre, 19, B/F, 5/17/83, 641 Cypress Lake Blvd.,
- Apt. H, Pompano Beach
Description of Incident:
A Pompano Beach pedestrian is facing the grim possibility of losing her right leg after accidentally running into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
The accident occurred shortly before 7 a.m., Thursday, as 45 year-old Margaret Morehead attempted to cross West Sample Road. The Wackenhut Corrections Facility resident and work release program participant was struck as she ran southbound across West Sample Road. The victim was headed to a bus stop when she began to run across the busy roadway in an attempt to avoid an oncoming vehicle. That car was ultimately able to swerve out of Morehead’s way. Unfortunately, her attempts to avoid the first vehicle placed her right in the path of a 1993 Toyota Corolla that struck her. 19 year-old Minoweag Menistre was the driver of the Corolla that was also occupied by three passengers.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue transported Morehead to North Broward Hospital where she may have her right leg amputated. The front seat passenger of the Toyota Corolla was also transported after suffering minor injuries.
BSO Traffic Homicide detectives continue to investigate. No charges have been filed against the driver.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. D. VanHaitsma, Pompano Beach/ D11
- THIS REPORT BY: Liz Calzadilla/ PIO 1/30/03 1 p.m.
Posted At: 01/30/2003 01:36 PM
Translate This Page: