MURDER CHARGE IN FATAL HIT AND RUN
- BSO Case Number: DR02-07-5507
- PIO Number: 02-7-35
- Date: July 28, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: 800 block of West Sample Road, Deerfield Beach, FL
- Rosario Landin, 24, 850 Commercial Boulevard, #233, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Ulises Balerio, 23, 1/6/79, 7931 SW 10th Street, North Lauderdale, FL
Description of Incident:
A North Lauderdale man is in the Broward Sheriff’s Office Main Jail facing an open count of murder after detectives say he ran another man down with his car.
Around midnight on July 28, 2002, according to investigators, between five and ten people were involved in an altercation outside the El Reventon tavern, 813 West Sample Road, Deerfield Beach.
Several people were walking through the parking lot of the establishment when 23-year old Ulises Balerio reportedly drove a 1990 Buick Regal recklessly and at a high rate of speed through the lot, striking and killing 24-year old Rosario Landin.
Detectives say Balerio made no apparent effort to brake before striking Landin and then drove away. Rosario Landin, of 850 Commercial Boulevard, Ft. Lauderdale, died at the scene. No one else was reported injured.
Balerio’s pregnant, live-in girlfriend, 22-year old Lena Castellanos, was in the car with him at the time Landin was killed. No charges have been filed against her.
Because of the reckless manner in which Balerio was driving as he mowed down Landin, detectives have charged Balerio with an open count of murder.
The investigation into this case is continuing.
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. R. O’Neil, & Dets. J. Berrena, F. Ilarraza, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf 7/28/02 10:00 AM
Posted At: 07/28/2002 10:08 AM
- ULISES BALERIO - ULISES BALERIO
Translate This Page: