BSO MAKES ARREST IN 2008 MURDER
- BSO Case Number: BS08-12-5070
- PIO Number: 12-4-5 (08-12-36)
- Date: 12/21/08
- Time: 3:20 p.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 2408 NW 49 Terrace, Coconut Creek
- Jurisdiction: Coconut Creek
- Ralph Apuzzo, 64, male, 9/23/44, 2408 NW 49 Terrace, Coconut Creek (DECEASED)
- James Gentry, male, 33, 7/25/78, Nevada (IN CUSTODY)
- Tim Gentry, male, 38, 10/23/73, Oklahoma (IN CUSTODY)
Description of Incident:
The investigation into a 2008 Coconut Creek murder took Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives across the country to a Nevada prison and a residential area in rural Oklahoma before it ended Wednesday at the Broward County Courthouse where a grand jury indicted two brothers on first-degree murder charges.
Homicide detectives say that on Dec. 21, 2008, victim Ralph Apuzzo met brothers James and Tim Gentry at an Oakland Park bar. He invited them back to his Coconut Creek condominium, where the Gentry brothers attempted to rob the 64-year-old Apuzzo. The three struggled violently, and Apuzzo was killed.
BSO detectives investigated the murder at the time, but the case eventually went cold until recently when BSO Crime Lab analysts tested evidence from the case. DNA matches proved that James Gentry, who lived in Sand Springs, Oklahoma and Tim Gentry, who is serving time in the High Desert State Prison in Clark County, Nevada on unrelated charges, were involved in the murder.
James Gentry is being held in the Tulsa (OK) County Jail fighting extradition to Broward County, and Tim Gentry remains in prison in Nevada awaiting transfer to Broward.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Curcio, Sgt. Ellwood, Homicide Coconut Creek PD, BSO Crime Lab
- THIS REPORT BY: Dani Moschella/PIO 2/4/12 1600
Posted At: 04/04/2012 04:15 PM
Translate This Page: