BSO MAKES SECOND ARREST IN LAUDERHILL MURDER Detectives Hunting for Third Suspect
- BSO Case Number: BS02-04-9905
- PIO Number: 02-5-23
- Date: April 22, 2002
- Place of Occurrence: The 7000 block of NW 49th Place, Lauderhill
- Brent Hamilton, 21, 11/10/80, 7079 NW 49th Place, Lauderhill
- 1. Orville Blythe, 24, 5/15/77, 4663 SW 51st Court, Tamarac (in custody)
- 2. Mark Anthony Smith, 30, 2045 Champions Way, North Lauderdale (in custody)
- 3. Floyd Alphonso Barrett, 21, 11/27/80, 7821 NW 46th Ct., Lauderhill (fugitive)
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives arrested a second man in connection with last month’s murder of a 21-year old Lauderhill man. Investigators are now looking for a third suspect, considered armed and dangerous.
Shortly after 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 9, 2002, 30-year old Mark Anthony Smith was arrested at his place of employment, Clean Cuts barbershop, 5867 N. University Drive, Tamarac. He’s charged in connection with the April 22, 2002 murder of Brent Hamilton. The previous Tuesday, May 7, 2002 at about 10:40 a.m., detectives arrested 24-year old Orville Blythe at 8812 Wiles Road, Coral Springs.
Now, the search is on for a third man, 21-year old Floyd Alphonso Barrett of 7821 NW 46th Court in Lauderhill. Detectives say he should be considered armed and dangerous.
Blythe, of 4663 SW 51st Court in Tamarac, apparently had an ongoing dispute with Hamilton. During the early morning hours of Monday, April 22, 2002, the two men reportedly had a physical altercation at The Ballroom Lounge in Tamarac.
Detectives say sometime around 6:00 that morning, with Smith driving, Blythe and Barrett followed Hamilton to an area near Hamilton’s home in the 7000 block of NW 49th Place. Blythe and Barrett opened fire with two weapons, striking Hamilton once. Hamilton died a short time later at North Broward Medical Center.
Blythe and Smith are being held at the Broward Sheriff's Office main jail. Blythe is charged with first-degree murder. Smith is charged with principle to first-degree murder.
Detectives are asking for help tracking down Floyd Alphonso Barrett. A reward of up to $1,000.00 is being offered for information leading to the arrest of Barrett. Call Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS
- INVESTIGATORS: Sgt. J. Murray, Det. D. Nicholson, Det. J. Berrena
- THIS REPORT BY: Hugh Graf / PIO 5/10/02 12:30 pm
Translate This Page: