SERIAL ROBBERS STRIKE AGAIN Possible Suspect in Custody
- BSO Case Number: several
- PIO Number: 02-1-19
- Date: see narrative
- Time: see narrative
- Place of Occurrence: see narrative
- see narrative
- George Reed, 25, 12/28/76, male, 1121 NW 6 Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
- 2 to 3 unidentified black males, medium build, between 20 – 30 years old, about 5’5” to 6’
Description of Incident:
Broward Sheriff's Office Robbery detectives believe they have apprehended one of the suspects involved in a recent string of restaurant robberies in Central and Northern Broward.
BSO Robbery detectives and patrol deputies conducting undercover surveillance, in the 500 block of West Oakland Park Boulevard about 9:45 p.m. Monday, spotted two male subjects acting suspiciously in the parking lot of a restaurant. The subjects fled into Fort Lauderdale when they realized undercover, as well as, marked BSO units were following them. The two men collided with a parked taxicab in the 400 block of NW 8 Street then fled on foot. George Reed was taken into custody, and the other subject is still at large.
Reed, who has a past armed robbery conviction, is charged with fleeing or eluding a law enforcement officer, carrying a concealed firearm by a felon, leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries, and several other traffic related charges. Reed is being questioned, but has not been charged with any of the restaurant robberies.
BSO Robbery detectives believe Reed and others are responsible for holding up restaurants in Lauderdale Lakes, North Lauderdale, Tamarac, Oakland Park and Pompano Beach. The armed thieves usually strike late at night, stealing cash and jewelry from employees and patrons. The unidentified male suspects are believed to be responsible for the following nine robberies:
1. 12/2/01, Cooke’s Goose Restaurant, 3750 North State Road 7 in Laud. Lakes at 12:07 a.m., four suspects, one gun seen, cash & jewelry stolen. No injuries.
2. 12/16/01, China Duck, 4273 W. Commercial Blvd. in Tamarac at 9:35 p.m., two suspects, one gun seen, cash and jewelry stolen from employees. No injuries.
3. 12/17/01, Bangkok Palace, 4345 N. State Road 7 in Lauderdale Lakes at 10 p.m., two guns seen, and both suspects fled empty handed when a victim began to scream.
4. 12/31/01, China One, 1581 S. State Road 7 in North Lauderdale at 8:26 p.m., two armed suspects, one victim received a deep cut on her head, another victim was shot in his hand, suspects fled with a purse and wallets.
5. 1/6/02, Wings Plus, 87 W. Prospect Road in Oakland Park at 12:10 a.m., two suspects and two guns seen, cash, jewelry, and two bank deposit bags were taken. No injuries.
6. 1/6/02, Magic Wok, 301 W. Oakland Park Blvd. in Oakland Park at 10 p.m., both suspects fled after they were spotted near the rear door of the business by an employee.
7. 1/8/02, Walgreen Drug Store, 2152 W. Oakland Park Blvd. in Oakland Park at 10:36 p.m., two suspects fled with cash. No injuries.
8. 1/8/02, Cielito Lindo, 600 S. Dixie Highway in Pompano Beach at 10:55 p.m., two suspects fled with cash, credits cards and a cell phone. No injuries.
9. 1/12/02, Captain Crabs, 2430 W. Sunrise Blvd., near Ft. Laud. At 1:10 a.m. (poor quality surveillance video is available for your reproduction)
Anyone with information on the identity or whereabouts of the suspects is urged to call BSO Robbery Det. Bob Kerr at (954) 321-4270 or call Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at (954) 493-TIPS.
- INVESTIGATORS: Robbery Det. B. Kerr, CI
- THIS REPORT BY: Veda Coleman-Wright/PIO
Posted At: 01/15/2002 02:22 PM
Translate This Page: