DIVER DROWNS OFF THE COAST OF POMPANO BEACH
- BSO Case Number: BS12-3-1890
- PIO Number: 12-3-26
- Date: 3/20/2012
- Time: 10:59 a.m.
- Place of Occurrence: 2601 N. Ocean Blvd., Pompano Beach
- Jurisdiction: Pompano Beach
- Bruce Magill, 63, male, 1/14/49, Ontario, Canada
Description of Incident:
A Canadian tourist drowned Tuesday morning after going on a diving trip off the coast of Pompano Beach.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office Communications Center received the call at around 11 a.m. advising that the boat “Aqua View” would be arriving on shore with a deceased male onboard. After going for a dive, Bruce Magill, 63, had resurfaced and began swimming toward the boat along with other divers, but he never made it to the vessel. The boat captain and passengers searched the surface of the water and finally located his floating body after about 15 minutes. Upon locating him, he was pulled onto the boat, and a doctor onboard immediately began cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but Magill was not responsive.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue stood by to transport the patient, but he was pronounced dead on scene.
BSO Crime Scene and Homicide detectives are investigating, though no foul play is suspected. The Medical Examiner’s Office will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
- INVESTIGATORS: Det. Schroeder, CID Homicide; Pompano Beach; Pompano Beach Fire Rescue
- THIS REPORT BY: Keyla Concepción/PIO 3/20/12 1645
Translate This Page: